We are pleased to invite you to the XVIII Congress of the Portuguese Biochemical Society (SPB), which will be held at the Hotel Vila Galé in the beautiful city of Coimbra from December 17-20, 2014. The SPB Meetings have been a forum for discussion and interaction of Portuguese and foreign scientists and students in the field of biomedicine and biomolecular sciences during the last decades. For the 2014 edition, we invited highly-recognized international scientists to present keynote and plenary lectures.
Besides the keynote and plenary lectures (a total of 6), a total of ten topic-oriented sessions will be organized:
1) Molecular neuroscience and disease (co-sponsored by the Portuguese Society for Neurosciences)
2) Mitochondrial metabolism in health and disease (co-sponsored by the UK Biochemical Society)
3) Aging and cellular redox signaling (co-sponsored by the Spanish Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, SEBBM)
4) Education in biochemistry and communication in science
5) Natural products: the drugs of tomorrow? (co-sponsored by the Brazilian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, SBBq)
6) Innovation and entrepreneurship in Biosciences: creating your own company
7) Biochemistry towards nanomedicine
8) Plant-environment interactions – implications in development and adaptation (co-sponsored by the Portuguese Society for Plant Physiology)
9) Stem cells and regenerative medicine
10) Eukaryotic gene expression: mechanisms and epigenetic regulation
We expect that by bridging together excellent national and international researchers in this Meeting, we will attract a large number of students and senior scientists, generate new synergies and contributing to foster the scientific careers of young students , contributing to increase the internationalization of Biochemical sciences in Portugal.
Paulo J. Oliveira, Ph.D.
Center for Neuroscience and Cell Biology,
University of Coimbra, Portugal